27 Feb 2023

New Kaffe Bueno actives for the cosmetics industry

Nordmann partner Kaffe Bueno is expanding its product range. In April, the Danish company launches two new active ingredients which are based on sustainable, upcycled coffee grounds powder: KAFFAGE™ and KAFFAIR™.

kaffe bueno sustainability

Since the beginning of last year, Nordmann has been distributing Kaffe Bueno’s KAFFIBRE for applications in the cosmetics industry.

How it all starts

When a cup of coffee is brewed, less than 1% of the coffee’s health-promoting compounds end up being consumed, while the remaining 99% remains unused within the spent coffee grounds. To tap into these health benefits, Kaffe Bueno uses environmentally friendly technologies to upcycle used coffee grounds and make the company’s KAFFIBRE, KAFFAGE™ and KAFFAIR™ products.

Product range overview


In the cosmetics industry, KAFFIBRE (INCI: Coffea Arabica Seed Powder) is used as a natural exfoliant.  It can replace plastic microbeads, for example, and serve as a sustainable and cost-effective alternative to other natural exfoliants. It has a particle size of less than 150 µm.

The product has been approved by ECOCERT GREENLIFE in compliance with the COSMOS standard and has many potential applications in facial care – from scrubs and masks with exfoliating effects to cleansing gels, lip care products and soaps. In body care, typical uses include exfoliators, anti-cellulite lotions, moisturizing wash-off creams and solid shower gels.


This new Kaffe Bueno product is an upcycled amphiphilic active biopolymer derived from coffee by-products. Its polyphenolic content offers unmatched multifunctionality and performance.

Packed with hydroxycinnamic acids, it facilitates a high level of antioxidant activity and reduces UV-induced glycation in human cells.

KAFFAGE™ absorbs UV radiation, too – UVA, UVB, and UVC rays – making it a natural SPF booster. Having natural emulsifying properties also makes it easy to incorporate.

Its natural skin-like shades, make KAFFAGE™ a tool to mimic the skin tone by reducing the need for pigments in BB creams, CC creams, foundations, concealers, and other formulations. 


  • 100% upcycled
  • 100% ecofriendly
  • 100% natural
  • 100% traceable
  • 100% vegan
  • Prevents UV-induced glycation (wrinkles)
  • Absorbs UVA, UVB and UVC rays (increases SPF)
  • High-level antioxidant activity
  • Helps mimic skin tone
  • Skin microbiome-friendly
  • Boosts preservatives

Recommended use:

  • Skin care
  • BB/CC creams
  • Body care
  • Foundations
  • Self-tanning products


Similar to KAFFAGE™, KAFFAIR™ is an active upcycled biopolymer derived from coffee. It is an active recommended for scalp and hair treatment. KAFFAIR™ induces the expression of human growth factor genes FGF7, VEGF, and IGF1 in human follicle dermal papilla cells. This is translated in strengthening of hair follicles and helping prevent hair loss. In vivo studies ongoing. Furthermore, KAFFAIR™ cleanses hair fibers from environmental pollutants, through its strong metal-chelating properties. Although it has natural coffee-derived hues, it does not dye hair.

Benefits for scalp and hair:

  • Antioxidants
  • Anti-pollution
  • Amphiphilic
  • Helps prevent hair loss (in vitro) – in vivo pending
  • Strengthens follicles

Recommended use:

  • Shampoos
  • Conditioners and scalp-revitalizers
  • Hair masks and treatments
  • Oils for the scalp


Distributed in Austria, Germany and Switzerland.



Related news

Hot black coffee 25 Apr 2022

For some, coffee is a pick-me-up and a lifestyle drink. For Alejandro Franco of the Danish scale-up Kaffe Bueno, it’s the start of a new recycling phase. Together with two former university buddies, he uses the leftovers from brewed coffee to make new cosmetic and food products.